the law offices of george castrataro, P.A.Serving South Florida And Fort Lauderdale, Since 2008
Call Us for Your Free Initial Consultation
954-573-2003 Se Habla EspaƱol
We Are There For You

Are you sensing alienation in your relationship with your kids?

No matter what your reasons were when you decided to divorce, it likely affected your children in many ways. Hopefully, you did some research or reached out to other Florida parents who trod the path before you, in order to glean insight and practical advice as to how best to help your children navigate the process. Relationships can become quite tenuous in such situations, as each family member tries his or her best to deal with ever-changing emotions.

If you feel your relationship with your kids is suffering, you may want to build a strong support network to help. One of the first things many parents in your situation do is analyze what the causal factors in a particular relationship decline might be. In fact, you might have employed similar tactics back when you first noticed your marriage was in trouble.

Signs of parental alienation

You obviously love your children and want what's best for them. When it comes to divorce, you and they may have differences of opinion from time to time. How you handle those moments and various other family issues that arise can make or break your relationship with your kids. The following list includes situations that may cause your children to grow distant from you:

  • If you tell your kids too much about your former marriage problems or your current divorce situation, it might backfire; rather than drawing them nearer, you may be pushing them away, because children tend to distance themselves from information they don't want to hear.
  • Similarly, bad-mouthing their other parent is likely not the best way to improve your parent/child relationship. Even though you may have decided you no longer wish to be married to that person, your children will always love both parents.
  • Some parents make the mistake of telling children they can choose certain things, such as when and where their visits with their other parent will take place. However, if a court order exists, then the court has made the choice, and it might upset kids to tell them they can choose when they really can't.

There are counselors, ministers and even trusted friends who may be able to help you re-strengthen the bond you share with your children. If there's a bigger problem at hand, such as suspicion that your former spouse is the one inciting alienation between you and your kids, you may wish to address the matter in a more official manner. Many Florida parents rely on outside help to rectify such problems in court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Peer Review Rated | LexisNexis | Martindale-Hubbell
  • Super lawyers | Rising Stars 2013
  • Super lawyers | Rising Stars 2014
  • Super lawyers | Rising Stars 2015
  • Super lawyers | Rising Stars 2016
  • AVVO